It goes a bit like this

11 January 2006

Have I fupped things up?


I've sorted out what I am - I'm a 'quiddler'. If you're not sure what that is, have a look at the grandiloquent dictionary (link somewhere to your right). Though I'm not doing much talking at the moment (it's pin drop city where I'm stationed at the moment) and I don't know a soul here. Actually, that's slightly mendacious of me; the girl I 'shadowed' (sounds more interesting than it in fact is) a few weeks ago is a mere 3 metres away, but she didn't seem to remember me when she glanced in my direction. It hasn't fazed me one bit though.

Now, back to the matter in hand. This year looks like it could be better than the previous one, at least in terms of work. Urgh, I know, it'd be much better if my quest for the money tree hadn't been so mired in practicalities (like, you know, you actually need FUNDS for travelling to far flung places where rare botanical specimens are found). Since the return to the office after the 'break' I have had 5 interview (2 of which have been second interviews). All the positions are administrative and characteristically the type of thing that would probably have me kicking vagrants into paths of multiwheeled vehicles on my way home after about 3 months. But this is the new, practical and fiscally compromised me, and I have to get myself into a viable money situation quickly. And 'floating' as I'm doing at some investment bank in Canary Wharf at the moment is not helping in that respect AT ALL. Yeah, so I went for this second interview on Monday, and an hour later they offered me the job (through a recruitment agent, naturally). I demurred on giving them my final answer as I had to see if I would be getting called in again for the job I really want (out of the three PA type things). So lots of toing and froing by telephone between different recruitment agents was done on Monday evening, but I still couldn't get the others to see me until this Friday. Can you imagine, after almost 18 months of looking for permanent work, I actually turned the first offer down? Granted, it was a 6-month contract so it wasn't ideal, but it would have been PROPER money! I'm just hoping that I did the right thing in holding out for this other job. Oh, and the job I haven't mentioned so far was an internal one at the bank I'm working in at the moment, and after seeing the guy for a second time I found out he hadn't chosen me - phew.

The golden bus is a special Routemaster (taken on the last day that the dear old Routemasters ever ran the 159 route - 9 Dec 2005), liveried like that to mark the Golden Jubilee of HM the Queen (gawd bless 'er). But perhaps I will be riding on my own 'golden bus' this Friday 13... No, I KNOW that's a crap analogy. I will be travelling home or to the pub on a regular, boxy, modern bus (probably the 45) after not being to ascertain whether or not I've got the job.

Blimes, sorry to have been so boring and rambly. I must try harder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home